True Confessions of a Mid-Life Cook

There's a definite correlation between my profound love of music and how and what I've taught myself to cook. My favorite music to listen to and to perform is soulful, sensual, sometimes funky and always bluesy in nature . . . and that's exactly how I cook. I like to get my hands in the food. I chop, I knead, I stir with my hands. Sometimes I wear my big rimmed cowboy hat, nightie and Old Gringo boots in kitchen, sometimes a coonskin cap when the mood strikes and sometimes just an apron and a smile. Using the freshest of ingredients, I love to bringing a new spirit to old favorites. I am so to drawn dishes seeping in both Texas and Southern tradition,with a special affinity for those authentic old jewels found in South Louisiana.
Because they, too, are so powerfully soulful?

I've discovered being a good cook is a journey and not a destination. (Yes, I stole an over-used corporate slogan and made it my own--but it's still the truth) Every time we screw up, we learn. And in part, that's what this blog is about. Cooking fearlessly. With heart, with soul -- and with some damn good music to inspire. (If your three layer chocolate cake ends up looking like a Jerry Springer rerun or you cut the tip of your thumb off while making New Year's Day gumbo, WHO CARES?Proclaim Francine Reed's "I'm a Handful" your theme song. She would like that.)
We cook because we find ourselves kinda empty if we don't.

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Buttermilk Cornmeal Pie with a key lime kick

I decided to bake a buttermilk pie today  because, well,  I had some buttermilk. And then I decided to add cornmeal to it to 'chess' it up a bit because I like the top 'crust' that the cornmeal naturally creates. 

I prefer a little tartness that lemons usually bring to this pie, but my Dillon isn't much for lemons and besides, I didn't have any.  But I did have a lime, so I thought 'why not.'  It dawned on me that we had some KeKe Beach Key Lime Creme Liqueur in the refrigerator that might make an interesting addition so I worked that in as well.  

The end result was no less than wonderful.  My husband, who is now beginning to understand just what a blog is, and has actually read parts of this one, said, "Take a picture of that damn pie."  In other words, it was blog worthy in his opinion.  So I did.  And here you go.

First make your favorite single 8" pie crust and bake it for about 8 minutes in a 425 oven. Set aside to let cool.

Set oven temp to 350

Ingredients
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup cornmeal
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
4 eggs, well beaten until light in color
1/2 stick butter melted and cooled
Juice and zest of one lime
1/2 cup buttermilk well shaken
1/2 cup KeKe Beach Key Lime Creme Liqueur

 

Mix dry ingredients in large bowl
Stir in melted butter
Stir in beaten eggs and add buttermilk slowly 
and then liqueur 
and stir until thoroughly mixed. 
Then stir in the fresh lime juice and zest and mix.
Pour over pie crust and  place in 350 degree oven for about 40 to 45 minutes until nicely browned

Let cool at least half an hour before serving. 

Note:  I continue to be very pleased with my little Canon PowerShot A1100IS.  The KeKe Beach bottle looks like it's suspended in air kind of, doesn't it?

Coconut by Harry Nilsson 

5 comments:

The Chef In My Head said...

MMMM Key Lime Liqueur, Oh my!! I've never had it before. Left alone with that ingredient, testing of course, could be very dangerous. Not sure the pie would ever get made. It looks fantastic and creamy delicious. ~LeslieMichele

Tavern on the Concho said...

LM, this liqueur it is a big, beautiful taste of palm trees and tropical breezes . . .and a perfect reminder that surely to God summer is almost here!

Pam said...

I've made many pies but never a buttermilk pie. It looks and sounds delicious! I love the key lime liqueur addition. Just wish I had a slice right now! Yum!!!!

Tavern on the Concho said...

Pam - Buttermilk pies have quite a history down South. Very economical and delicious. Omit the liqueur and use a full cup of buttermilk instead if you want. Traditionally they're made with a little lemon juice and zest added to them. And by omitting the cornmeal and flour you've got yourself a true buttermilk pie. But you won't have the crusty top. You've gotta try it!

Rita said...

Sounds so good.Love buttermilk but have Never had buttermilk pie. You inspired me to try this. Great recipes here. Thank you fo joining me.
Rita